Monday, March 25, 2013

Italian Cinema: To Rome With Love

I finally saw To Rome With Love! The 2012 Woody Allen film was shooting in the middle of the streets during my study abroad program. Although it did not receive the best reviews, I think it is a hilarious, beautiful movie about the Eternal City's occupants: citizens, celebrities, students & tourists. 

To Rome With Love Set at Largo Argentina
Woody Allen's tent!

The plot is confusing at some points, but it was beautifully shot and edited. Rome was not just the setting of this film, Rome is a character. Campo dei Fiori, Trastevere, the ancient ruins, even apartments and offices play an active role in telling the story of La Citta Eterna.

As a student that lived there, Alec Baldwin's character stuck out to me. He played a renowned architect that studied in Rome when he was young and was clearly having nostalgic flashbacks to his time there throughout the movie. Although I know on my return visits I will want to sightsee, I do feel some empathy for the character. He is an example of the fact that when you spend time anywhere as more than a tourist, it becomes a part of you. 


Photo Credit: filmofilla.com


 If you want to watch a modern-day movie that showcases the city, it is a movie I recommend!

Since I saw part of the filming and it showcases my former home so well, 
To Rome With Love holds a special place in my heart. 











No comments:

Post a Comment