Sunday, February 26, 2012

One Year Ago...

"Quando si chiuda una porta, si apre sempre un portone."

When one door closes, another one always opens.

photo credit: lifeinitaly.com

Just about a year ago, I was accepted to study film in Rome during DePaul's summer session - this experience is proof that this quote is true. My sophomore year of college started off ending a three year relationship that really shaped me as a person.  Yes, I know that there is much more to the world than romance and dating, but to the 19-year-old me, this was a big deal.  Little did I know, that closing one major door in my life allowed me to open so many more - including living the dream for a month and a half.

Studying abroad during the summer was a major decision for me.  I am a career oriented person, and planned on applying for advertising or PR internships in Chicago.  However, when one of my closest friends and sorority sisters told me she was applying to the new College of Communication Rome program, I had to look into it.  With my family's support, I put my heart into a series of essay questions, faculty recommendations, and one annoying passport application.  The work, tears, and nerves resulted in the best early birthday present ever - I was accepted to the program, along with one of my best friends!

photo credit: unco.edu


Spring quarter dragged on and flew by at the same time. Before I knew it, I was boarding a plane to Munich at O'Hare. I was excited and terrified at the same time - it was the second time I ever flew by myself, and my first experience in international travel.

The longest plane ride of my life resulted in the most amazing experience. Although Rome was over six months ago, I still reflect on my experiences every day.

I strive to keep a part of Italy - in some way, shape,  or form - present in my life in Chicago! 

No comments:

Post a Comment