Sunday, February 26, 2012

Italy Inspiration - A Romanticized Land

I chose to study in Italy to embrace half of my heritage. I grew up constantly hearing and occasionally speaking my Nonna's (grandmother's) native language and hearing stories about my mother and aunts' adventures visiting our relatives and friends.


Although I am second generation Italian American, my family genuinely embraces our heritage and we try our best to stay updated on the current state of the motherland. 

However, I have to admit, I grew up in the era of boy bands and quality Disney stars - I was a huge Lizzie McGuire fan. 



photo credit: adm1370-the-beauties.wikispaces.com

Strange as it seems, The Lizzie McGuire Movie is definitely one of my many Italian inspirations.  It may not be high quality Italian cinema, but it captured 11-year-old Colette's imagination, and it is still a movie I thoroughly enjoy.

Lizzie McGuire was an awkward middle school girl - as a young teenager, I identified with her.  She finally gains confidence at the end of the film - so naturally, growing up I always associated Italy with confidence and true happiness.  Although Hollywood's version of Italy is definitely romanticized, for me, Italy truly does have a something special about it - even amid today's economic and political turmoil.

It just so happens that my Disney guilty pleasure is airing on WGN - what a lovely Sunday surprise before my sorority's chapter meeting!

I never noticed some of the famous landmarks appearing the movie - my favorite part of watching it now is that I can tell exactly where some of the scenes were shot! For example, the fireworks scene halfway through the film is definitely near Castel Sant'Angelo for the feast of St. Peters - a Roman celebration in which my friends and I were able to take part!

Some of my photos from St. Peter festivities:




Although the Lizzie McGuire Movie presents a highly romanticized Rome - the core spirit of La Citta' Eterna e' lo stesso!*

*translation: e' lo stesso = is the same

No comments:

Post a Comment